Five Revelations From Jay Leno's Producer About Drunk, Obnoxious, and Demanding "Tonight Show" Guests
David Berg was a producer for "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" during its entire run. His memoir, "Behind the Curtain: An Insider View of Jay Leno's Tonight Show", came out yesterday. Here are five of the best revelations . . .
1. Christian Bale was a very difficult guest and got into arguments about potential "personal" questions that don't seem very personal at ALL . . . like "Where did you grow up?" and "What was your first acting gig?"
2. The show had a bar installed backstage to help guests relax. Quentin Tarantino drank so much at the bar when he was a guest in 2003 that he wound up slurring his words and was incoherent on the show.
3. Dennis Rodman made 28 appearances on the show and had such a problem with being late they wound up having to send a helicopter to get him.
4. The show tried to bribe Bill Clinton to come on and sent him a $12,000 custom-made bike. He accepted the gift but still wouldn't come on the show because he resented all of the Monica Lewinsky jokes.
5. The show once bumped Benjamin Bratt for a segment with an animal trainer because they knew it would do better ratings. Bratt boycotted the show from then on.